I always thought making ice cream needed two things: time and equipment. How wrong was I? In my taste adventures I came across a recipe that used only three ingredients and the only equipment you needed was a mixer! Yes, that’s right – only three ingredients.
Well, that intrigued me. As an ice cream lover (as my hips clearly indicate), I thought why not try it and see just how good it is. Well, it is good. Very good.
The 1-2-3 of Ice Cream
Here is what you will need:
- 2 cups 35% whipping cream
- 1 can (300ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
To make it, simply beat the whipping cream until it is light and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and drizzle in the condensed milk while beating. That is it! The whole process takes you no more than five minutes.
Next you need to freeze the mixture into ice cream. Line the bottom of a baking pan with waxed paper and spread out the ice cream mixture. The wax paper keeps crystals from forming which means you don’t need to use a fork to move around the ice cream while it is freezing to avoid crystals. Cover the top with another sheet of waxed paper and then plastic wrap.
Freeze the mixture for a few hours and, voila! Ice cream for dessert!
Variety is the Spice of Life
This recipe is for a simple vanilla ice cream, however, you can let your own creativity shine. Here are a few ideas that will let you serve a different ice cream each day (because this one won’t last – guaranteed).
- Switch out the regular condensed milk with Dulce de Leche condensed milk for a rich caramel flavor
- Add 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and replace the vanilla extract with mint extract for a quick mint chocolate chip ice cream
- Add 1 cup of roughly crushed Oreo cookies for a Cookies & Cream delight
- Mix in 1 cup of fresh chopped strawberries for a fresh twist on strawberry ice cream
- Swirl in 1/2 cup of sour cherry jam and 1/2 cup of roasted chopped walnuts for my version of a cherry nut ice cream
Let me know how it goes and please send in your own fabulous ice cream versions!